Friday, December 16, 2011

On Communication, Food And Shopping

Mrs. 45er and I had a great day of shopping today.  There is a great town just North of here that has a huge and eclectic collection of shops and restaurants.  It's a very German town, so there is a lot of good beer, too.  There is also a fantastic kitchen store.  I can hear the collective eye-rolling from the guys, but this is something I actually enjoy doing with my wife.  Mostly because she shops like I do and we get to eat lots of great things.  

On Communication:

It's important.  I think I found the perfect tool for the married couples out there.  It gives a new meaning to the term "pillow talk".

Uhhhh
Or, more likely:

The dust-collecting side
We did a lot of wandering around and ended up in a candy store.  Nestled in between the chocolate and pectin-based fruit chews were these little boxes of joy.


Yum
Double Yum
Triple Yum
And before you ask, yes they are real.  What kid can't wait for their parents to go to the candy store and bring home a box of crunchy insects?  Tasty.  Ok, I can say I've had weirder things. 

If I was lost in the wilderness...  Maybe.

On the way out of the same store, there was this:

Yes, it says that
And yes, those are chocolate covered Jalapenos to the right.  I didn't try them or the chocolate covered pickles to the left (not shown).  This wasn't bad, but it really wasn't great.  I think with a better cut of bacon it could work.  The bacon needed to be cooked a little more to render more fat if you're serving it cold and give it a better crisp.  Anyways, now I can say I've had it.

Moving on, we got hot chocolate in a shop a few doors down and saw this:


Oh, the good old days.  I'm sure it had cologne of some kind in it.  This is the kind of town that had plenty of the old silver cap gun revolvers that brought back great memories for me.  The hot chocolate wasn't all that fantastic, so we kept moving.  

Next, it was the place with the great hot sauce/salsa for sale.  This place is fantastic.  It has almost everything right out there for you to taste.  I always end up leaving with something.  I also always have to head to the back room, which is the seventh level of hell for your tongue.

My kind of sign
By the way.  They aren't kidding around with that sign.  I tried a Bhut Jolokia sauce for the first time sitting on this table.  If you don't know what that is, it's between 850,000 and over 1 million on the Scoville Heat Unit Scale.  Habanero peppers top out at 350,000 or so and the puny Jalapeno is about 2,500 to 8,000 tops.  Needless to say, I didn't buy the sauce.  But I did try some things in this room:

The Inferno.  Dante is in the corner
You know, normal sounding sauces like:

Yes, they went there

And

So did they
So after this room, I go back to the front and Mrs. 45er asks me to try something to see how spicy it is.  My answer was pretty much "How the hell would I know, now?"  Subtle spice nuances were lost at this point.  It was all one burn.  I did end up with a great bacon chipotle grilling sauce.  I'll have to try it out and do a post on that later.

All this munching has kicked up our appetite, so it's time to get lunch.  We found a nice place downstairs under the kitchen store.  Almost all of the buildings here are pretty old and very not ADA approved.  So, we head down some very narrow stairs and walk into the restaurant.  The first thing that hits you is the smell of a flat-top grill doing its thing and the pungent smell of sauerkraut.  This place has a good looking turkey reuben on the menu.  However, that's not what I had my eye on.

Now, that is yummy
Pecan crusted chicken with a creole gravy served with rice and candied ginger carrots.  This was fabulous.  Mrs. 45er had a good old shepherd's pie.  It was a chilly day and this hit the spot.  It was a great day.  We ended up not breaking the bank, which is nice and got some great exercise which was more than offset by lunch and the cup o' creme brulee we had for dessert.  You've got to enjoy life.  :)

11 comments:

  1. The hottest stuff I buy anymore is W-231.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any man safe with his gender isn't afraid nor reluctant to shop in a 'kitchen store.' I do, and enjoy it...good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't take the "heat" but my husband would be in the tasting room with ya! The hotter the better, hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tango - HA, I'll bet that burns pretty hot, though. I love the spicy stuff, but I don't buy it much because it's just me that eats it and it sits around going bad.

    Stephen - This place is one of my favorite places to go. They have stuff I've never even heard of before and it's always a learning experience.

    LB - You'd probably be with my wife at the front tasting all of the gourmet jellies and the 20 year old oak barrel aged balsamic vinegar. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. When we lived in California my husband and I used to drive up the coast or into the mountains and find little towns like this. So fun!! Although, unless I am stranded somewhere for days on end I am not eating a worm or a cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds a lot like Leavenworth, a Bavarian style village in WA state. It is so fun to go into these stores, you never know what you will find. And the restaurants are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. girl&gun - This is one of our favorite towns to "wander" through. The shopping is so eclectic, but the stores are nice. There are great snack and food and ice cream places. We love it.

    Rose - Howdy, thanks for stopping by. This is a big-time German town (Fredericksburg) full of beer and schnitzel and sauerkraut. I love it. Not quite as specific in region as Bavaria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, all good ones, and loved the pillow 'talk' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. NFO - that was probably my favorite thing I saw all day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW, I was at one of those shops a while ago, and they had a fresh Jalapeno filled with peanut butter fudge, and dipped in chocolate fudge.

    It was really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't see those. I might have tried that one, but when we were at those stores it was a bit early for jalapeno. We hit the sauce store just before lunch. It's amazing how tasting a little of this and a little of that can really mess you up the next day. ;)

    ReplyDelete