Monday, March 5, 2012

Sushi for kymber

I've been thinking about making sushi for a while now.  I know kymber had a craving, but lack of tools (hehe) a while back, so I thought I would make some in her honor.  I can practically hear some of you guys' eyes rolling out there, but if you haven't tried good sushi with things in it that you like, you may be missing out on something.  I decided on a simple roll with nothing too fancy.  Start with the rice:


Really, that's the hard part.  The rice making technique is a process in patience, but that's the part you have to do right.  If the rice isn't good, you might as well give up.

For the rice:

1 1/2 cup sushi rice (shari)
1 3/4 cup water
Large wooden bowl
Flat spoon (rice paddle)
Hand fan or stiff piece of cardboard
Cup of water for dipping spoon

Rinse the rice repeatedly in cold water until most or all of the milky color is gone.  Put the rice in a pot with a lid  that seals well.  Add the water.  Bring to a boil, then lower to the heat to low and cover.  Cook for 15 - 20 minutes.  Mine took a bit longer.  Cook until the water is absorbed.  You can tilt the pot if it has a clear glass lid and see.  I recommend not removing the lid.  Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.

For the rice seasoning:

1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt

Dissolve sugar and salt in the vinegar.  Pour the cooked rice into the wooden bowl and dip the spoon into the cold water.  Begin folding with the spoon and fanning to cool the rice.  Do this for 5 minutes.  Add the seasoned vinegar one tablespoon at a time and continue folding, dipping spoon into water as needed.  When all of the seasoned vinegar is added, begin fanning again and continue folding for another 5 minutes.

When the rice is cooled to room temperature, cover with a towel until ready to use.

You will need a bamboo rolling mat.  I like to put the mat inside of a gallon ziploc and leave it unopened.  It keeps the mat clean and is easier to deal with than saran wrap.

Cut a piece of nori (seaweed wrap) in half lengthwise and lay it on the mat with the dull side up.  Dip your fingers in a combo of 1 cup water and 1/4 cup rice vinegar and scoop out about 1/2 cup of rice and lay it on the nori.  Press the rice out to the edges until it is about 1/4 inch thick and even.


Then flip it if you are making inside-out rolls.


Add some wasabi, then whatever goodies you desire.  I made a couple of Philadelphia rolls tonight (smoked salmon and cream cheese).


Lift mat and begin to roll, do not roll the mat under.  Keep rolling until the roll is complete and then press and form the roll.



I toasted some sesame seeds and rolled them in that.  Take a very sharp knife and wet the blade.  Cut slices from the roll and make sure to wipe the blade with water before each cut.


I dressed them up with a little Siriachi/mayo combo and some homemade unagi sauce.


And enjoy!  We definitely did.


17 comments:

  1. 45er buddy - yer just plain awesome! and so is your sushi making! i really enjoyed the tutorial as you know what happened the last time we made sushi - bahahahah! thanks a bunch buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    (one last time - the sushi looks delish!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kymber. I had to giggle when I saw your post and I love that you both soldiered on and still enjoyed yourselves. Hopefully, this will help some. It worked great for me.

      Delete
  2. So yummy! We make California rolls all the time. My daughter is addicted to crab and avocado. I have never made them with smoked salmon, but I'm gonna try that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good one. I do like California rolls. Boiled or fried shrimp with avocado is another great one. Thanks, Agirl.

      Delete
  3. if you haven't tried good sushi with things in it that you like, you may be missing out on something

    PREACH ON. As I said on my own blog a few months back, sushi may not be prime rib, but it'll damn sure stand on its own merits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your on the team, pistolero. HEB actually has some really good rolls (at least here) if you haven't tried them. I think if people realized all the stuff you can do with it (and that it isn't really all raw fish) they could enjoy it. Heck, if you like shrimp and rice the shrimp roll is awesome.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I am a big fan of shrimp and rice. I'll have to try that, if not from HEB then from Central Market. (After almost two years in San Antonio I am still enraptured with that place.)

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean, pistolero. We don't have a Central Market here, just a regular HEB. I walk around those in a daze.

      Delete
    4. Where in Texas are you, 45er?

      Delete
    5. Pistolero, just northwest of you in Kerr.

      Delete
  4. That is on the list for things to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, That Guy. Lobster rolls, crab rolls, shrimp rolls. Maybe tenderloin steak rolls, too. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking bbq pulled pork sushi and brisket rolls.

      Delete
    3. You know you may be on to something, That Guy. Some kind of fusion sushi. After all, remember the Chili Cheese Spanikopita turned out surprisingly well.

      Delete
  5. Those looked (and obviously tasted) good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, NFO. They were pretty tasty. Next time I won't be so cautious. Making the rice is the hard part, the rolls are pretty easy. I'll have a bunch of different ingredients next time.

      Delete