Friday, March 16, 2012

Bedtime Story

I have kind of a problem.  I'm generally addicted to books.  I do everything I can to instill the love of reading in my kids.  One of my dreams has always been to read a story at bedtime to my kids.  Not the Dr. Seuss stuff, we've done that since the beginning.  I'm talking the kind of story that takes time to finish.  The kind that the kids can't wait to get back to the next night.  I thought I had jumped the gun with the oldest, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Some light reading
Yeah, I didn't start with the easy stuff, either.

Treasure Island
So, she was excited the first night.  I think she just loved the size of the book and thought she'd never have to go to bed.  I thought she might quickly lose interest.  I asked what she wanted to read the second night.  "Pirates, daddy! I want the pirates!"

Well, what a pleasant surprise.  The one thing I did learn is that it is taking me three or four times as long to read it because I have to do all of the voices and stop to explain things regularly.  She doesn't ask, but she looks at me with those blue eyes and nods her head when I do it.  I don't know if she really understands, but she seems to love it.  We're 50 pages into it now and she is still excited.  She even wants it read during the day, which I have gladly obliged.  Heck, yes I can turn off the television and read to you.  I was fully prepared to have her ask for one of her other books and that would have been fine.  I thought I was pushing it.  I think what I've discovered is that she inherited my addiction.

12 comments:

  1. THAT is so awesome 45er! my mom instilled a love of reading in me when i was a young child - and i have loved reading ever since! teaching a child to enjoy to read is a gift that they keep all of their lives! good job buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kymber. I started reading on my own at a pretty young age and I think it was a huge part of how well I did in school later. I hope she keeps up the passion.

      Delete
  2. You are a wise and blessed man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks. I know I'm blessed with the two angels I have.

      Delete
  3. Great, good for you. We're on the same page when it comes to children and books. Big smile here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, I figured you'd be happy with this one.

      Delete
  4. Awesome!! I love reading to my kids and they love it too. We read together every single night, then they read on their own, then prayers and not chocolate. My older kids are avid readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Agirl. We've read to both girls every single night since they were born. The older one will sit and look at books forever (not reading, yet). I hope the younger one moves that direction as well.

      Delete
  5. And there is NOTHING wrong with that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, NFO. Thanks. I did realize that it might be best to edit some content in the book I chose for the little one or at least not explain what it means to be "drunk on rum." Thankfully, she has no idea what that would be.

      Delete
  6. Howdy! Found your site from AGirl's site, likin what I see so far! Will have to continue to peruse when I'm not...er...at work. LOL

    We have a 3 year old daughter, and we read two books every night before bed. Right now, they're Dr. Seuss-level books (she loves the ones by Sandra Boynton), and loves it when Daddy reads because I do the voices and ham up the little song portions (not much...I suck at singing as it is). I look forward to the day when she is able to ask if she can read one of the books on my bookshelves....I remember fondly the day that I discovered sci-fi/fantasy. Almost as much as I look forward to the day we take our first daddy-daughter trip to the range.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirk, Welcome! Nice to have you. If you have a blog, hit follow and I'll link you in the blogroll. If you don't, do it anyway and we'll talk. I almost jumped the gun (pun) and started the 3 year-old with a .22 on her birthday. I decided that wasn't so great quite yet, so we do air guns and nerf stuff. I teach muzzle and trigger discipline with the toys and how to handle them. I decided to go advanced on the reading, instead. She's still eating it up. We're really going to finish this thing. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete