Sunday, March 25, 2012

Movie Night, Cowboys, Aliens and Adventure

We got two of them:  "Tintin" and "Cowboys and Aliens."  You know what?  Both were really pretty good.  We got "Tintin" for the kids, so we thought.  It was still ok, but there was some content that was a bit on the older kid side.  Still, it was ok.  What I was surprised about was the awesome firearm animation.  I mean, just incredible.  There were MP40s, Lugers and Tintin himself carried an FN Hi-power, which I thought was pretty sweet.  Yes, there were your typical mistakes.  If you take a magazine out of a gun that has been in use and there is a round in the top of the magazine, you don't have one round left, you have two.  But anyways, it was done really well.  For those of you that may not be aware, there is a pretty cool website that can help you with your gun identification for movies.  Sometimes it's just fun to look back at older movies and see what was in them.

"Cowboys and Aliens" was surprisingly good IF and I mean IF you like Sci Fi and Western genres.  If you don't like Sci Fi and get it because you like Westerns and Harrison Ford, you will probably think it is goofy and ridiculous.  The story was done well and the actors were very good.  It was interesting to see Harrison Ford play a bad guy.  It's worth it for a rental.  Were there issues with this one, too?  Sure there were.  It's made by Hollywood, but overall it was fun and entertaining.

12 comments:

  1. Haven't seen Tintin, but I saw Cowboys and Aliens in the theater. It was well done, but it was also every single alien-invasion and western-movie cliché and trope ever devised, all rolled into one script.

    Were you surprised by anything that happened in that film?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, you're right on the money about the cliches. The only thing that really surprised me was that I liked it as much as I did. To be honest, it's a rare movie that actually throws me for a loop and I really enjoy those movies when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am stuck, tonight, with Shirley Temple...I did catch Cowboys and Aliens recently and like it. Tintin will arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like Tintin. It's one LB may enjoy. There is some more adult themes, such as a lot of drinking and a lot of action/violence, but that is all. I was not into the series or stories as a child, but Mrs. 45er was and she really enjoyed the movie.

      Delete
  4. Concur on both (all) of the comments :-) and yes cliches abounded! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NFO, I think Cowboys and Aliens can be called a guilty pleasure. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Saw Cowboys and Aliens in the theater. It was a fun watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleasantly surprised. It would be a fun one with a big screen and surround sound.

      Delete
  6. We saw Cowboys and Aliens in the theater also. And we are looking forward to seeing Tintin. My Dad had some comic books about Tintin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only heard of Tintin. My wife, being from Canada had much more exposure to it than I did at a young age. It was over-the-top action and a lot of fun. You'll like it.

      Delete
  7. You have not had a guilty pleasure movie until you watch "Showgirls". Just sayin =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I remember seeing that movie as a young pup in the theater and being very disappointed that it didn't go the direction I thought it would. :)

      Delete