Thursday, March 8, 2012

A commitment to more training

Like a lot of people around here, I've been into firearms for a long, long time.  You learn what you learn and then you find out you've been doing it wrong.  You may be ok or even good, but then along comes someone by happenstance that says, "hey, maybe you should try doing it like this."  If you're open-minded (and you should be) those times should be something of an epiphany.  My first was about 18 years ago and I realized that there was probably a "right" way to do this shooting thing even if you were hitting your target.  You can always improve.  For a long time, getting it right meant doing a little research (remember books?) and making sure I knew what I was doing, but it was like learning how to tie a tie on the internet.  You knew how, but no one was there to tell you if you were doing it right.  A few years back some friends and I started getting serious about advancing our skills and took some great classes.  The problem is that most classes mean a trip (driving if you're lucky), overnight stay, cost of the class (usually not cheap) and multiple days away from home, in addition to ammunition costs.  I've been thinking that I need to find someone closer that I can work a deal with to get some good training.  In my area, this shouldn't have been that hard.  Well, it wasn't as easy as I thought, then life got in the way and I forgot for a while.

It had been bugging me for a while, so I started making calls again.  I ended up talking to a local shooting range who got me in touch with exactly what I've been looking for.  It looks like regular training is in my future and it's close and one-on-one with someone that knows his stuff.  I'm walking on air right now.  I can't wait until the first session.  Unfortunately, that may not be until May with other things going on.  Trust me, I will post the results and pictures.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds great! I look forward to the reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome 45er buddy...and yes - we will all expect pics and reports! have a great time, my friend!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your reports!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Having childcare close is a big deal for us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rev Paul, kymber, TJ, keads - thanks and I can't wait. You will definitely know when it happens.

    That Guy - that makes it that much easier, which means I'm more likely to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! And please keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, NFO. My schedule was early May. I might have to ramp that up, some. I probably won't be able to wait that long.

      Delete
  7. Man, Old FNO took the words right out of my mouth...umm, keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agirl, you're one of the ones that has lit a little fire under me. I'm seeing you get serious about your training and I'm realizing I've been practicing, but not training. I'm going to be taking pointers from you pretty soon.

      Delete