Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bockor Brewery: Bellegems bruin West Flanders Ale

A little over a year ago, some friends introduced me to "sour" ales.  This is definitely something that can take a little getting used to.  The first I had was Monk's Cafe and it is quite good.  I haven't really tried to find any new ones lately, but got a little urge to try a few.  One was a natural disaster and one of the nastiest brews I've ever tried, however this one was very nice.


The color was a dark brown, but very clear.  It had a clean aroma with a bit of yeast, but not very strong.  Now, for the flavor.  If you've not had a sour beer, they are completely different.  There is a slight sourness, but I equate it more like a slight vinegar sour (but not taste).  The flavor of this particular beer is very slightly of cherry and caramel malt.  The sour provides a crispness to the beer and it is very clean with little after-taste.  It has a lot of carbonation and is quite "fizzy," though the head is very small and not thick at all.  This will make a great summer beer on a warm day (which it happened to be today).


2 comments:

  1. I need to see if I can get that locally. Love the Sour Ales, and Monk's and The Duchess are still the standards for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try it. If you can't get it, let me know. I know you dig the sours and I think you'll really like this one.

      Delete