Friday, January 13, 2012

Seared Venison Medallions

I guess it's obligatory food posting time.  I haven't done one in a while (not for lack of taking pictures).  I just have all of these awesome pictures and then don't do a post.  Yeah, I don't know either.

This one is awesome and easy.  Get you some venison backstrap.  I prefer the center-cut from the backloin for these medallions.  Cut the steaks about 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick.  Wrap a strip of bacon around and tie with twine.  A simple tie with two twists will suffice.  Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on each side.  Sear over very medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or so per side (that includes rotating 1/4 turn).  Then turn on the side to sear the bacon to make sure it is crisp.  The center of the venison should (always) be medium to medium-rare.  Venison (in this case Whitetail) should never really be well-done.  And...  Voila!

Heaven, table for one
Served with Israeli pearl couscous and steamed broccoli.  Pretty incredible.

10 comments:

  1. I have never had venision(well venision like salami once when I was 10), but that looks mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, heck, that beats tacos any day of the week...jealous here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost makes me drool just looking at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, AGirl, if you were closer I'd make sure to have you over for dinner. Trying venison for the first time is something that should be done where it is cooked properly. Too many people think they do not like it because it was handled or cooked improperly.

    Stephen - Freezers full of it. I wish you were close by as well. Heck, we'd have a blogger shoot/dinner.

    John - Thanks for the comment. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 45er - that looks sooo delicious! you are going to have to invite us all down and serve that. with the couscous and broccoli. i'll bring the red wine - yummeh!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, I really wish I could. I'll add the blog meet/wild game dinner to my list of things to do if I win the lottery (that I don't play).

      Delete
  6. Oh man, you're killin me over here... :-) Looks delicious and I'm on the road... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! and I agree...well done is a bad bad word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LB, thanks. Yes, all of the times I've heard someone say they "hated" venison, they were usually the people that can't stand pink in their steak.

      Delete