Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Kewl Accessorization (and meat)

I've had a Remington 870 12 Gauge for quite some time, but it has spent a lot of time in the safe.  It makes it to the range a lot because it's just lots of fun.  What it hasn't done is operate in the capacity of a home defense firearm.  "Why?" you say.  "It is one of the most venerable man-stoppers made."  Yes, I do agree.  They have their place in home defense and can be an immediate show stopper.  However, I do not employ anything for home defense in a serious capacity without one of these:






This is what was under the tree today.  I've been seriously looking for a good set-up and just haven't gone for it.  I've even had stuff in the cart on-line, but just not bought it.  It wasn't at the top of the spending list.  Mrs. 45er asked for a list, so I forwarded her the links I had favorited.  I'm liking this set up.


It is an Elzetta mount (which is constructed very well) and a Primary Arms light.  The light is nothing special, just really darn bright.  Primary Arms says 420 lumens and from the purple spots in my vision, I might agree with that.  It's just a single stage light with a click on and off tail cap.  Simple.  You can pulse it on if you want, but I really wanted a light with click-on function since this is a pump gun.  I really need a constant on function because I don't want to be trying to find the pulse switch every time I rack the slide.





It stands off a bit from the barrel, but I'm ok with that.  I didn't want to put a mount on with a rail and then another mount and then clamp the light.  That's a lot of stuff to get loose.  This is a specifically dedicated light mount and there are a heck of a lot of screws holding this on.  I will be taking it out this weekend for some testing.  Fun.

Now, on to the next bit of fun from this week.  I was wandering through a local store and saw some camo wrap on a display.  Nothing special, I thought, until I started looking at it.  It is basically like medical wrap.  Not the old Ace bandage from days past.  This is latex embedded so it sticks to itself.  It also gives a secondary advantage of making the gun you are wrapping a little more "grippy".  Here is the result on my stainless Remington 700:





For perspective, there is a picture of the same rifle at the bottom of the page.  The product is called Camo Form from a company called McNett.  It isn't cheap at $15 a roll.  One roll is supposed to wrap a rifle, mounts and scope.  I'm not a professional at this, so I didn't have a lot left for the scope.  I used what I had.





This is a pretty cool product.  It's re-usable and can just be washed in water and hung to dry.  One of the issues with my stainless rifle is it's super shiny.  Mostly that isn't an issue, but when I am stalking or sitting in the open I'm extra conscious of the potential shine there.  This will help a bit, I think (and it looks kinda cool).

Now, for something completely different:





The Elk is done!  It wasn't cheap, either, but it was worth it.  On the left there is the pencil stick (think skinny dried sausage), in the middle is jalapeno cheese summer sausage (yum) and the right is salami.  We also got regular summer sausage and jerky.  The look on my face was probably hilarious when my dad brought these in the house.  I was thinking something like the little chub of meat you get in the store, you know, about 10 inches long.  The summer sausage and salami was probably 2 feet long or better.  When you thaw one of these babies, you'd better have a dinner party planned or a platoon to feed.  Oh, and it tastes incredible.

6 comments:

  1. I'm drooling, over all of it.

    Recipe of the day.

    3 1/2 pound venison roast.

    cut slits in meat and insert 8 cloves of garlic.

    Salt (Himilayan pink salt, trust me, worth buying) and pepper and sear in 2 Tbsp. oil in a French Oven (Dutch Oven) on the stove top on medium, 4 minutes one side, 3 the other. Sprinkle the top with about a Tablespoon and a half of dried shallots and chives, crushed green peppercorns, basil, tarragon, chervil and a tiny pinch of dill weed and sweet Paprika. Pour 1 and 3/4 cups beef broth and 1/4 cup Malbec around it and add a bay leaf. Cook in the oven at 300 degrees in the covered ceramic oven about 48 minutes per pound, checking with a meat thermometer. Let sit out 10 minutes and slice thin. It's even better on day two, cool with mayo on sliced french rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to share. Your reply is quite timely. I shall definitely use this one. We have no short supply of venison roasts and Mrs. 45er put a selection of specialty salts under the tree for me this year which includes Himalayan pink salt. I can't wait.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Lord, I want me some of 'dat meat right there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of it, Stephen. You know, it's really good with extra sharp cheddar. :)

      Delete
  3. I am interested in hearing more about the light, and trying out some more of the elk this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be testing the light on the shotty this weekend. I plan on running a bunch of rounds through this and toss in some 00 and maybe a slug or two to really run it through paces. I want to make sure the mount holds and the light can tough it out. If it can handle a 12 gauge, it should work on just about anything else. I will say this, that sucker doesn't just light up a room, it lights up the whole house in the dark.

      Delete