Sunday, July 22, 2012

What a Kwak (of beer)



I had a bit of spare time and wandered over to my local beer guy.  He wasn't there, but I was in the mood for a little something different and they know I like the Belgian stuff, so I had this one recommended to me.


Pauwel Kwak (or just Kwak) is brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels in Belgium.  They call this a Belgian Specialty Ale.  The pour was very nice and smelled of malt and a bit of caramel.  There was a nice off-white head and the beer retained quite a bit of carbonation after the pour.  The color is a cloudy amber.


This was a nice change of pace.  It had a medium-bodied feel with quite a bit of carbonation.  The flavor was just slightly sweet.  It had almost a lambic sour note that went away very quickly and was replaced by a slightly yeasty malt flavor.  This was quite good if you like Belgian Beer.  At 8.4% ABV, it's not a lightweight and I recommend splitting a bottle with a friend.  The brewing process helps explain the high carbonation.  They brew it for a month with two yeasts, then re-ferment it.  It is then bottled and cellared for 9 months, then they remove the yeast.  I like a beer with a bit of back-story and history and Kwak has quite a bit of that.  I mean, look at the glass it is traditionally served in.


From what I read, when you drink to the point that the beer rushes from the bulb at the bottom of the glass (and I'll bet it does) it makes a sound that sounds like "Kwak."  Who knows what stories beer drinkers tell.  Goodness knows they have the time while they are sitting around a tavern with a pint.

In all, this is worth a try.  It is full-bodied, but not heavy.  It is good to have with a salty snack and a friend.

4 comments:

  1. I'd seen it, but never tried it, now I guess I'll have to add it to the list! :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, NFO. A nice change for me right now from all of the IPAs I've been consuming.

      Delete
  2. Same as NFO. I have seen that and never tried it. Might pick up a bottle to try this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good Belgian beer. I will probably bring a bottle on the trip.

      Delete